More About Gulf Coast Montessori Teacher Training
Gulf Coast Montessori Teacher Education Center (GCMTEC), is an AMS affiliated and MACTE approved Montessori Teacher Education Program, located in Houston Texas. It was initially conceived after several years of our trainers working with other Montessori teacher education programs. The Director, Erika Ohlhaver, was also working with public school Montessori programs and realized that the previous timeline for educating Elementary I-II (ages six through twelve) teachers was not practical for the implementation of the Montessori method for new teachers. The American Montessori Society (AMS), a Montessori accreditation and certification agency, changed the required number of contact hours in 2012 for the Montessori I-II credential from a two year program (one full Elementary I course, and one full Elementary II course with a full year practicum usually totaling 1,698 hours) to a course with Elementary I (325 hours) Elementary II (175 hours) and a full year practicum (1080 hours) for a total of 1,580 hours.
This new structure allows for Elementary I-II teachers to complete the entire course in a more timely manner. It is the opinion of the course Director that this model will allow emerging teachers to be better supported through their first year of teaching by receiving instruction of Elementary II practices during their first year, instead of waiting until the second year course is taken. In addition, employers of GCMTEC Elementary I-II teachers can be assured of having a credentialed teacher in the classroom sooner than under the previous model.
Gulf Coast Montessori Teacher Education Center is AMS affiliated and MACTE accredited Site for Montessori Teacher Education.
- Montessori Credentials for 6-12
- Learner friendly schedule
- State of the art training facility
- Experienced Montessori Trainer Educators
- Low teacher to student ratios
- Completion of the credential faster than the traditional 2 year model
Serving the Public and Charter School Community
Gulf Coast Montessori Teacher Education Center's faculty understands the complex and demanding requirements of beginning classrooms in the public sector.
- Instructors are able to give classic presentations as well as variations that are needed to meet the requirements of a diverse student population.
- Instruction allows adult learners to work with 1st through 4th and early 5th level curriculum by the end of the first summer session; allowing teachers to be successful their first semester since they have the appropriate curriculum for their age group.
- Current digital experiences incorporated into the instructional process with links provided in the manuals, presentations utilizing digital resources and ETC Montessori's innovative METIS curriculum.
Statement of Compliance
Gulf Coast Montessori Teacher Education Center is an AMS affiliated, and MACTE approved Montessori Teacher Education Center.
Gulf Coast Montessori Teacher Education Center has a Certificate of Approval from the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC).
The School's programs are approved by the Texas Workforce Commission.
The TWC-assigned school number is: S-4750
Students must address their concerns about this school or its educational program by following the grievance process outlined in the school's catalog. Schools are responsible for ensuring and documenting that all students have received a copy of the school's grievance procedures and for describing these procedures in the school's published catalog. If, as a student, you were not provided with this information, please inform school management.
Students dissatisfied with this school's response to their complaint or who are not able to file a complaint with the school, can file a formal complaint with TWC, as well as with other relevant agencies or accreditors, if applicable.
Information on filing a complaint with TWC can be found on TWC's website at: www.texasworkforce.org/careerschoolstudents